Friday 15 February 2013

Reddit?

Reddit has quickly become my go to place for pretty much everything and I feel that even my own "Fresh Start" would not have been possible without it. I consider myself a bit of an introvert, I enjoy my own company but I still enjoy interacting with others out in the real world and in cyber space.

So what is Reddit? Well Reddit is a platform that allows users to post links or discussions. These posts are then either upvoted or downvoted by other users which then influence there position on the site and your on newsfeed, the more upvotes the higher in the queue as it where. It is such a simple idea yet has been executed so well and credit goes to the guys over at Reddit for making it happen.


Glancing at the states as of today's date we are able to see that there are over 4,300 active communities, users have visited the website from over 175 countries and the number of logged in Redditors amounts to over 2,200,000. Additionally Reddit proved remarkable in other areas, it has provided a platform to host regular meetups one of which I have attended in London but it also allows celebrities to answer questions from users referred to as AMAs (Ask me Anything). Notable AMA's that come to mine are those of Snoop Lion (Snoop Dogg) and President Barrack Obama.


Some of the top reasons why Reddit is my favorite website on the net include:


1. Provides a platform to link with others who share similar interests to yourself.

2. Generally speaking the best content will be pushed to the top with undesirable content being swiftly down voted and not shown on your news feed.
3. Allows you to discover new areas of the web that you may have never considered before. I don't even know how many websites I now frequent as a result of Reddit but it's a lot.
4. Content is created by the users.

But what about me, when I log onto reddit where do I hang out? well some of my favourite subreddits are /r/minimalism/r/declutter//r/simpleliving/ for all of my minimalism needs. /r/Paleo//r/keto//r/bodyweightfitness//r/progresspics/ for my health and motivational needs. /r/LifeProTips//r/EDC/ (Everyday carry), /r/Entrepreneur//r/IWantToLearn//r/malefashionadvice/ for my own personal interest. There are a host of other sub-reddits I visit but these are certainly the most frequent and it is through these sub-reddits that I find a lot of my reading material across all corners of the internet.


I'll be honest, without Reddit I probably would not have begun on this minimalist movement. So thank you Reddit for helping me improve my life. So guys jump on board head over to reddit.com take a look around see if you find a sub-reddit that interests you and get involved in the community.


No comments:

Post a Comment