Saturday 16 February 2013

Digitizing

In further attempts to simplify my life and de-clutter I was musing through some of my belongings and noticed I still held all of my assignments from university in paper format. Although these had originally been typed up on the computer, through these course of time these had been lost.

I collected together all of my assessments which for some odd reason hold some sentimental value, go figure. As I am currently in the possession of a printer/copier/scanner I decided to go through the process of scanning all of these files onto my computer and now house these both on my hard drive and within a google drive. I definitely recommend this for sentimental and important documents which you want to hold in one spot.

Anyway, whilst scanning away probably well in excess of 1,000 sheets of paper it occurred to me the power of the internet and now I have at my fingertips the ability to access these documents anywhere in the world. The simple act of scanning these into digital format has allowed me to not only dispose of the physical documents but has actually made them more easily accessible anywhere in the world and all I need is an internet connection.

In this day and age I think it is easy to forget the power we have at our fingertips and through a simple act of cutting down my belongings through digitization I have in actual fact increased the usability by now having multiple access points to these files.

I feel it's an important lesson to remember that in practicing minimalism and simplifying our lives we can in actual fact further enhance our belongings that would have previously been considered clutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment